Ninth and Tenth Visits! (December 4 & 11, 2018)

At the end of the Arts Bridge Program, we have the task of putting together a cumulative project to reflect our work over the semester. I focused my last two visits on this project. Miss Adair and I decided that we wanted to do something small scale to help the class remember the things that we learned through the various activities that we did each week.

The first day of this lesson, we started with a warm-up game to get the students moving and thinking on a drama level. To do so, we played "Number Levels" which we have played several times. The kids really like this one because it allows them to move in a fun way.

After the warm-up, the class sat in a circle. Miss Adair wrote four categories of what we learned through the activities on large pieces of paper: 5-Finger Retell, Unity, Nouns/Verbs/Adjectives, and Opinions/Facts. We then went through each category and listed what activities went with which category. I was impressed with how many activities the students were able to come up with by themselves without being prompted. Once they exhausted their memories, Miss Adair and I helped them with hints to cover the rest of the list. We then talked about each category one more time to make sure that they understood why we did the activities.



To end the first day, we played "Zing!." The last time the class played, we made it for a decent amount of time without stopping or getting distracted. I knew with practice this class could become even better, but I was blown away by what they did on the first attempt this time around! They were focused, made direct eye contact, and were at the ready the entire game. We did this several times and got better each time!




When I left the class that day, I left them with a task before my last visit. They were to talk and decide what their 3 favorite activities were from our lists and surprise me what their decision.

For my last visit, we played the games they chose: Cross the Room, Charades with 5-Finger Retell, and Crab and Seagull.

I adjusted Cross the Room from the last time we played it. This time, the students used their bodies to demonstrate how much they agreed with a statement. If they did not agree, they stayed where they were. If they really agreed, they would use big and rapid movements to switch sides. If they only somewhat agreed, they did the movement that they felt was appropriate for their agreement level. For the most part, this went well. If I were to do the activity again, I would draw a line in the middle to be the section where students go if they agree so that we could clearly see who agreed and who did not.




We played Charades the same way that we did last time. Some groups went through their cards quickly, while others had some trouble with a few of them. This caused some confusion and chaos as groups were done and others were not. I had a few extra cards for those groups that finished early.




Crabs and Seagulls went well. This game can get rowdy if not managed. There were instances while the class played that some groups got a little on the crazy side. Miss Adair was a huge help throughout all the activities to rein the students back to an appropriate level.

I was greatly surprised by the games that the class chose as their favorites. They were paying attention and remembered things even when I didn't think they did. I was pleased with how the project turned out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Visit! (September 18, 2018)

Eighth Visit! (November 27, 2018)

Third Visit! (October 23, 2018)