Fifth Visit! (November 6, 2018)

This visit was great! We started a deeper look into the 5-Finger Retell and made connections with the activities that we did last week with parts of speech. The students were able to tell me each finger with little to no prompting and then told me whether that finger was a noun, verb, or adjective. The finger that we focused on with this visit was Characters.

We jumped straight into our activity without doing a warm-up exercise. I knew that our task for the day had many parts and would take as much time as we had. To start, we read Click, Clack, Quack to School! by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin. I told the students to focus on the various characters in the story and to be able to tell me some adjectives to describe them. After reading, the students were able to tell me every character in the and what kind of noun they were (person, place, thing, animal). They, then, went back to their desks and colored a picture of one of the characters that I had printed out for them. I gave them popsicle sticks with tape to stick on the back of their colored picture to make a puppet. There were multiple puppets of each character as the book contains groups of animals and people. We sat back down on the carpet, grouped with our character in the order they appeared in the book. As I read the book again, the students participated when I read the section that contained their character. They made the sounds and did as the book directed them to do. Miss Adair participated as well by being the farmer and the duck. Once the book was done, we went over some adjectives that could describe each of their characters based on their puppets.


https://photos.app.goo.gl/Apt2vEv7VWFvwNhw5 
(video of the book with puppets)



I was greatly impressed by the class! They followed directions well and fully embraced the activity. When I asked them to participate with their puppets, they waited for their turn and then acted the part. I feel like the students are making great connections to the material through drama!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Visit! (September 18, 2018)

Third Visit! (October 23, 2018)

Second Visit! (October 16, 2018)